Monday, March 11, 2013

Re: The Attempted Repression of "Heal Lanka"

I have been made aware that my single “Heal Lanka” has been deemed too controversial for some Sri Lankan radio stations. This song was recently re-mastered and has been getting regular radio play on several prominent stations in Sri Lanka. But on March 7th 2013, I received a notice from one radio station stating that “due to the current political climate in Sri Lanka” they are taking my track off rotation “until the situation gets better.” This is at a time when “Heal Lanka” was moving up on several request-line based countdown shows and despite the public requesting the song. It appears that the radio station might be under the pressure of a person or entity, who has decided that their agenda is more important that what the people want.

In addition to this, there have been intended acts of intimidation used against my Sri Lanka based Film Team that shot and are in the process of editing the music video for “Heal Lanka.” The day before I was given notice of the song being banned from radio, an incident occurred involving the harassment of the Film Team by an unknown group of hostile men. All of this gives us reason to believe that an unidentified person or group with no connection to any legal authorities
are responsible for the threats towards “Heal Lanka” and our team.

What I have to say as a Sinhalese-American Rapper is when will “the situation get better?” Also I would like to ask the question, what is so controversial about HEALING? The lyrics to “Heal Lanka” speak for themselves and I do not regret any statements, message or ideas that one gets from the song because it was made with the intentions of opening up a dialogue for a better Sri Lanka for all her children. By birth I belong to the majority ethnic group “Sinhalese” of Sri Lanka and I refuse to condone or be silent to any forms of bigotry, intolerance or repression of a people based strictly off their ethnicity, religion, class or caste. Also after living and working in Sri Lanka for the better part of 2012, I know first hand that the people of Sri Lanka share a unity of spirit that exists in every distinct community within our beautiful island.

For the record “Heal Lanka” was written in 2010 (a year after the Sri Lanka government ended the 30year civil war by defeating what Interpol called “the most dangerous terrorist outfit in the world”; the LTTE) and I actually wrote it in response to my being falsely associated with a “Boycott Sri Lanka” campaign out of Canada, that I did not agree with. The song was made to clarify my position and give a mission statement for post-war Sri Lanka, that it is time to Heal. It’s disappointing that just a few years into this time of reconciliation which is going on in the country, certain reactionary entities are trying to create a fake new enemy at home to make their own hidden agendas fruitful. I have nothing but love for Sri Lanka and all Sri Lankans so I will continue to push for open, honest dialogue amongst all of our people. Now is the time more than ever that we need to Heal Lanka. Despite the threats my team and I are determined to complete the video and make sure it gets airplay around the world. Thank you to all who have shown support for “Heal Lanka” thus far, we will continue to push for lasting peace.

In Struggle,

Ras Ceylon

2 comments:

Unknown said...

bro its just dat some people are so stupid there is no word in heal lanka that esembles the current situation.... utter stupidity

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this valuable information
Sri lanka Accommodation
Nirosh Chanaka